    SubjectRe: [patch 09/17] Add all cpus option to stop machine run
    * Alexey Dobriyan (adobriyan@gmail.com) wrote:
    > Please, stop Cc'ing me on this.

    Fixed.

    > I continue to think that all this so-called "immediate" infrastructure
    > is an absolute overkill and declared D-cache line savings will _never_
    > matter and will never be measured on real life workloads. Right now you
    > claim 1 (one) cacheline saving in schedule() which can be trivially
    > moved under CONFIG_PROFILING umbrella. On the other hand is more ugly
    > assembler code. Sorry, people add infra with much better good/bad ratios.
    >
    > Also, my gut feeling of a guy who is also on receiveing end of bugreports
    > at SWsoft that line with .text games was crossed by SMP alternatives and
    > fooprobes. The rest won't matter because programs like firefox will fuck
    > up L1, L2 caches in one blow just by showing animation.

    I did not know the only thing we should ever care about as kernel
    developers was Firefox ? ;)

    I find it quite amusing that at one end of the spectrum we have Ingo
    fearing about a few bytes added to the scheduler object even when they
    are never loaded in cache, and that at the complete other extreme we
    find people arguing that cache lines used by the kernel does not matter
    because this and this userspace app is-oh-so-bloated.

    Am I the only one interested in finally getting a tracer infrastructure
    in the Linux kernel ? (yes, this is the original objective behind
    immediate values by the way)

    Mathieu

    --
    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2008-04-09 20:57    [W:4.058 / U:0.024 seconds]