    SubjectRe: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

    * Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:

    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >> i repeat, it took me more than an hour to figure out why there's no
    >> networking on my laptop. Guess how much it takes for a plain user to
    >> figure out the same problem.
    >
    > A plain user would have obtained a working distro kernel, putting this
    > rare problem purely in the laps of people with highly unusual kernel
    > configs...
    >
    > But as noted in the announcement, the fix is for this is to continue
    > in the next step in the transition, then you only have one driver
    > claiming those IDs, for any given config. No need for further Kconfig
    > tweakage.

    i find it mindboggling and rather sad that you are still in denial :-(

    this is an obvious regression to me, with a very simple fix. No other
    PCI driver breaks like this. We've got three thousand Kconfig options -
    it is clearly not realistic for users to keep such details in mind to
    avoid pitfalls. E1000=y && E1000E=m is uncommon but can easily happen.
    E1000=y && E1000E=m simply makes no sense in light of the PCI ID
    stealing that occurs if E1000E is enabled.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2008-04-08 22:37    [W:3.765 / U:0.156 seconds]