SubjectRe: BUG: using smp_processor_id() during suspend with 2.6.25-rc8
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > The mce resume is a sysdev.
> > sysdevs were always supposed to run completely with interrupts off. If they
> > don't anymore that's some kind of higher level resume code bug which you need
> > to fix there, not hack around in the low level code.
> They are executed with interrupts disabled, on one CPU.

So, any idea why mce_resume() -> mce_init() -> debug_smp_processor_id()
triggers the warning? Apparently preempt_count is zero, irqs_disabled()
returns false, and cpumask_of_cpu() is not equal to current->cpus_allowed.

So there clearly is a bug somewhere.

> > Obviously turning on preemption anywhere around the machine check is
> > fatal because it touches CPU state and if you reschedule you could
> > switch to another CPU and change or access the wrong CPU's state.
> FWIW, at the point when sysdevs are resumed we are single-threaded.

Is that really relevant here? We still could be switched over to another
CPU, and that would break things.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2008-04-08 00:37    [W:0.114 / U:1.036 seconds]