    SubjectRe: [patch] checkpatch: relax spacing and line length
    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:54:54 +0200 (CEST) Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de> wrote:

    > We all had the arguments about 80 columns, so here goes a relax.
    > Checking for 95 (or perhaps something better?), but of course we
    > print "80" in the output, because if you happened to get to 95, it's
    > "really time" to break it.

    This will reduce the usefulness of checkpatch for those developers who
    choose to observe an 80-column limit.

    > This also relaxes the tab doctrine, because spaces DO make sense --
    > especially when you view the code with a tab setting of not-8.

    Non-tab-using code inevitably ends up having a mix of tabs and non-tabs
    and looks a mess if tabstops are set to anything other than eight.

    God I wish I had not been cc'ed on this.

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans