    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] UTF-8 fixes in comments
    On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:15:12AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
    > Willy Tarreau wrote:
    >> It's too easy to impose crappy designs to end-users and tell them that if
    >> that does not work they have to file a bug. There are a minimal set of
    >> things that must be tested before shipping. Seeing that the default
    >> terminal emulator in KDE on Mandriva 2008 is configured in UTF-8 and does
    >> not properly render it simply makes me sick. This is broken by design and
    >> even distros trying to get it working for years still can't cope with it.
    >> There must be a reason.
    >>
    > Yeah, ascii-only is a crappy design. :-/ I don't know if mandriva is
    > broken by design - I only use debian.
    > It would not surprise me if some distros botch utf-8 through negligence.
    > They are based in english-speaking countries and have their biggest
    > user bases there - the majority of their customers aren't going to use
    > more than
    > ascii so why should they bother.

    Mandriva is a French company.

    And what Willy describes really sounds like someone fiddling with some
    settings (or something like accidentally selecting some non UTF-8
    locale).

    Bad things can happen when you somehow get charsets mixed, but
    distributions default to UTF-8 for quite some time, and problems
    with a 100% UTF-8 system have therefore become were unlikely.

    > Helge Hafting

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-04-30 21:25    [W:0.271 / U:0.056 seconds]