    SubjectRe: patch driver-core-warn-about-duplicate-driver-names-on-the-same-bus.patch added to gregkh-2.6 tree
    At Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:28:42 +0400,
    Stas Sergeev wrote:
    > Hello.
    > Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > > Though, I think the snd-pcsp driver could be better built on the top
    > > of input pcspkr driver, or coexist with it. Then we'll have no more
    > > conflict about platform name space.
    > I was trying this in the past.
    > This never worked out very well.

    > I disliked the dependancies.
    > Either snd-pcsp was loading pcspkr,
    > or there had to be the global variable
    > to prevent the concurrent access, and
    > that hurts modularity.

    But you anyway enable the input pcspkr feature in your snd-pcsp code.
    So, basically you depend on (or build on) it.

    > > When you compare input pcspkr.c and sound pcsp_input.c, you can find
    > > that most of codes are identical.
    > Yep, its a copy/paste mainly.
    > I wanted a complete replacement.
    > Back then, I've been told that multiple
    > drivers controlling the same device is
    > never a good idea. But I won't be surprised
    > if that have changed since. :)
    > > What we'd need is a hook on
    > > pcspkr.c that adds a dynamic check whether snd-pcsp (or any ohter)
    > > is running.
    > How?

    What you need is a way to check whether input pcspkr can be usable or
    not. You can add a function pointer, for example.

    > And also, with snd-pcsp you have a
    > mixer control to disable the beeps,
    > which I find sometimes even more
    > usefull than the pcm sound itself. :)

    Yes, that seems useful.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-30 08:37    [W:0.033 / U:10.124 seconds]