SubjectRe: Serious performance regression in Wine applications and Linux 2.6.24.*
Date
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:17:14 +0100, "Ingo Molnar" <mingo@elte.hu> said:

> * Kai <epimetreus@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > The issue only shows with Age of Wonders II and AoW Shadow Magic.
> >
> > Every version of wine from 0.9.55 to 0.9.58, including several
> > intermediate git builds.
> >
> > Xorg version 1.4.0.90, and a couple other versions (the problems has
> > persisted across a couple updates of Xorg)
> >
> > Hardware rendering; using the prop. nV driver; updating that also
> > doesn't affect the issue, nor does retaining the same version.
>
> could you run this script while such a slowdown is really prominent:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/tools/cfs-debug-info.sh
>
> and send me the output it generates? The output is the most useful if
> you do this on a kernel that has CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y and
> CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS=y enabled.
>
> on the off chance that this issue has been fixed in the soon-to-be
> 2.6.25 kernel, you might also want to try x86.git/latest, which is based
> on the latest Linus tree and has all relevant x86 fixes and improvements
> added as well:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/x86.git/README
>
> several of the changes can affect performance.
>
> a third (and most comprehensive) way to debug this would be to send me a
> scheduler trace of such a slowdown, you can generate a scheduler trace
> the following way:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/sched-devel.git/readme-tracer.txt
>
> but we can probably give a first estimation based on the cfs-debug-info
> output already. Btw., you can combine the scheduler and the x86 git tree
> into a temporary unified tree by doing these two commands:
>
> git-checkout -b tmp x86/latest
> git-merge sched-devel/latest
>
> (run "make oldconfig" to pick up the new config options.)

Okay, so I don't know a lot about git; I tried following the
instructions in the readme at
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/x86.git/README to get a latest x86 tree,
and merge it with sched-devel/latest using the commands git-checkout -b
tmp x86/latest and git-merge sched-devel/latest:

mkdir linux.trees.git || exit -1
cd linux.trees.git
git-init-db
git-remote add linus
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
git-remote add x86
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86.git
git-remote update
git-checkout -b tmp x86/latest
git-merge sched-devel/latest

Then I copied over a config file and updated it, but building failed
shortly into the process, with some errors about missing a } before ;,
and excess elements in scalar initializer, in file
arch/x86/kernel/init_task.cc.. anyway, I tried to update again, using
git-remote update, but it kept giving me this output:

Updating linus
Updating sched-devel
fetch sched-devel: command returned error: 128

So I'm just going to test using 2.6.25-rc8-git2; however, can someone
also give me the proper sequence of commands to get a working tree as
Ingo Molnar requested, so I can test that way, too? Sorry to be a pain.

  Last update: 2008-04-03 16:07    [W:0.082 / U:0.684 seconds]