    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] UTF-8 fixes in comments
    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 06:29:43PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > >Is this really needed Adrian ? I mean, everyone reads iso-8859-1, not
    > >everyone reads UTF-8.
    >
    > "Everyone" who speaks a Western European language, perhaps; and even
    > then, mostly because a lot of tools still have a "oh, it's not valid
    > UTF-8, guess iso-8859-1" mode.

    Or simply because people have not migrated all their install, or have
    explicitly disabled UTF-8 a few hours after starting to use it once
    they discovered the mess it caused and the poor support from the
    tools :-/

    > The most common instance of non-ASCII
    > characters in Linux kernel code are people's names, and there are plenty
    > of names which aren't representable in either ASCII or iso-8859-1.
    >
    > The debate on this was years ago, and the consensus was to migrate to
    > UTF-8; however, the salient information should be expressed in the ASCII
    > character set unless impossible.

    And do we really consider that people's names in *comments* cannot
    be converted to pure ASCII ? I'm western european and have always
    been against accents in comments (another reason to write comments
    in english BTW). Unix and internet have lived without accents for
    almost 30 years without anyone really bothering. And now we try to
    put them everywhere (even in domain names, implying big security
    issues) and it causes real annoyances. People's names have not
    changed in 30 years, so I guess that the rules used during this
    time to ASCII-fy the names are still usable.

    > -hpa

    Willy

      Last update: 2008-04-29 07:09    [W:0.022 / U:30.000 seconds]