    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] fs/buffer.c:init_buffer() mustn't be inline

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > > Can somebody tell why this is not a gcc bug?
    >
    > It is a gcc bug.
    >
    > But having a global function marked as extern was already questionable,
    > and all assumptions an "inline" would always inline the code are anyway
    > now broken in your tree.
    >
    > So let's work around a gcc bug by fixing the kernel...

    But when doing this, MARK IT LOUDLY AS A GCC BUG!

    The thing is, reading that log message, it was not at all clear why that
    change was made. Please make it clear why, rather than quoting a totally
    useless error message that doesn't actually tell what is going on.

    I agree that having work-arounds for compiler bugs is worth it (assuming
    the version is common enough to worry about), but I also don't want to
    have unexplained commits doing something that on the face of it is just
    odd

    Put another way: looking at the actual diff and looking at the commit
    message, the only sane reaction from somebody who knows the code is:
    "Whaa? WTF?". Saying "This is a gcc bug" would have turned that "WTF?"
    into a "Oh, ok then".

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-04-28 19:03    [W:0.045 / U:387.932 seconds]