SubjectRe: Announce: Semaphore-Removal tree
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 03:10:40PM +1000, David Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:00:21AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > It's been a Good Idea for a while to use mutexes instead of
> > semaphores where possible. Additional debuggability, better optimised,
> > better-enforced semantics, etc.
> >
> > Obviously, there are some places that can't be converted to mutexes.
> > I'm not proposing blind changes.
>
> Matthew, what's the plan for code using semaphores that cannot be
> easily converted to something else? e.g. XFS?

I'm glad you asked!

Arjan, Ingo and I have been batting around something called a kcounter.
I appear to have misplaced the patch right now, but the basic idea is
that it returns you a cookie when you down(), which you then have to
pass to the up()-equivalent. This gives you at least some of the
assurances you get from mutexes.

Though ... looking at XFS, you have 5 counting semaphores currently:

1. i_flock

This one seems to be a mutex. I'd need to immerse myself in XFS for a
couple of days to verify that though -- there's a lot of places that use
it, and it doesn't have obvious lock/unlock pairing. Is it sometimes
unlocked from a different thread than the one which locked it? If so,
kcounters might be the right thing to use here.

2. l_flushsema

This seems to be a completion. ie you're using it to wait for the log
to be flushed.

3. q_flock

Ow. ow. My brain hurts. What are these semantics?

4. b_iodonesema

This should be a completion. It's used to wait for the io to be
complete.

5. b_sema

This looks like a mutex, but I think it's released in a different
context from the one which acquires it.

-----

Possibly XFS should be using constructs like wait_on_bit instead of
semaphores. See the implementation of wait_on_buffer for an example.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-04-28 14:23    [W:0.101 / U:0.420 seconds]