    SubjectRe: [git pull] "big box" x86 changes, bootmem/sparsemem
    Date
    Hi Ingo,

    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

    > * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >
    >> IOW, they'd be big enough that people hopefully don't start nitpicking
    >> about some *totally* uninteresting small detail, but small enough that
    >> people can read it through without losing concentration about a
    >> quarter of the way in.
    >
    > ok. Here's the "memory management" type of changes:
    >
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86-bigbox-bootmem.git for-linus
    >
    > the other sub-trees will depend on these changes. I think these
    > infrastructure and other improvements are mergable and pullable as-is.
    >
    > Ingo
    >
    > ------------------>

    [...]

    > mm: allow reserve_bootmem() cross nodes

    I find it sad that this goes in now. I wrote a clean version of
    reserve_bootmem() [1] and it was rejected with arguments that I did not
    understand [2] and that were not further explained even though I asked
    for it [3].

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/76
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/234
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/250

    Your comment was rather unfair, because it gave the impression you did
    not read the thread before replying. And you did not react to other
    explicit questions from me. If you find my patches to be crap, say so
    and please explain WHY so I have a chance to improve.

    Please, reconsider the bootmem patches; bootmem code looks really bad at
    the moment.

    Hannes

      Last update: 2008-04-28 00:51    [W:0.033 / U:90.368 seconds]