SubjectRe: kgdb: core
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:46:36 -0700 Andrew Morton wrote:

> > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:12:52 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> > > So please
> > >
> > > a) make this a kerneldoc comment and
> > >
> > > b) remove the kerneldoc at the definition site(s).
> > >
> > > (alternative: teach the kerneldoc system to go fishing in the various
> > > arch directories to find the appropriate documentation, but I don't
> > > know enough about kerneldoc to be able say anything about that).
> >
> > well there's lkml feedback ping-pong effect here. It was pointed out in
> > earlier kgdb review that it's an "error" to put kerneldoc into header
> > files.

As Andrew has pointed out in various emails, it is convention to
put kernel-doc near definitions (implementations), not near
declarations (headers). [Boy, I hope I didn't get those reversed.]
But it's just convention for the sake of consistency AFAIK.
kernel-doc will read header files if that's what we tell it to do.

> It is, normally. Nobody thought about this case.
>
> > I pointed out that it makes no sense to do otherwise but removed
> > the kerneldoc annotation to resolve the "objection".
>
> Duplicating the same stuff in multiple places is the larger sin. It sounds
> like the best compromise would be to kernel-doc the interface in the .h
> file and remove the duplicated comments from .c.

Yes, duplication would be Bad.

> Or perhaps we kernel-doc the interface in the x86 .c files and leave it at
> that - people should go there to find the docs. Problem is, this will

That's (using x86) fairly common also, esp. for functions that header
files (inline functions and macros).

> presumably generate bad results if one builds the formal kerneldoc output
> for a different architecture. The kerneldoc system could of course fix
> this somehow, but I don't know what shape it would take nor how much work
> it would be.

kernel-doc output doesn't depend on build $ARCH.

---
~Randy

  Last update: 2008-04-22 17:29    [W:0.078 / U:0.244 seconds]