SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
Date
On Tuesday 22 April 2008 03:28, David Chinner wrote:
> We've already chopped off the low hanging fruit, added noinline to
> every function definition to prevent compiler heuristics from
> blowing out stack usage by 25% and reduced use of temporary
> variables as much as possible. There's very little fat left to trim,
> and still we can't reliably fit in 4k stacks.

At yet, I got four screenfuls of

fs/xfs/XXXXX.c: warning: unused parameter 'foo'
when I added -Wunused_parameter to Makefile.
Clearly there is some room for improvement.

> Patches are welcome - I'd be over the moon if any of the known 4k
> stack advocates sent a stack reduction patch for XFS, but it seems
> that actually trying to fix the problems is much harder than
> resending a one line patch every few months....

Sent a few.
I would like to ask you to ACK/NAK every individual patch
in some reasonable period of time, say, 1-3 days. If you NAK a patch,
please let me know what is wrong with it.

I am not eager at all to experience a repeat of aic7xxx
patch saga, when I was not getting any meaningful reply
for months.

Best regards, Denys.
--
vda