SubjectRe: kmemcheck caught read from freed memory (cfq_free_io_context)
On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 13:42 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02 2008, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > I don't follow your A-B-C here, what do they refer to?
> >
> > A does a radix_tree_lookup() of cfqd_1 (darn typos)
> > B does a kfree of the same cic found by A
> > C does an alloc and gets the same cic as freed by B and inserts it
> > in a different location.
> >
> > So that when we return to A, cic->key == cfqd_2 even though we did a
> > lookup for cfqd_1.
>
> That I follow, my question was if A, B, and C refer to different
> processes but with a shared io context? I'm assuming that is correct...

Ah, yeah, whatever is needed to make this race happen :-)

> And it does look buggy. It looks my assumption of what slab rcu destroy
> did is WRONG, it should be replaced by a manual call_rcu() freeing
> instead.

Yeah, SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU should have a _HUGE_ comment explaining it,
I'm sure this is not the first (nor the last) time people get that
wrong.

This would be one of those things that score very low on Rusty's API
list.

  Last update: 2008-04-02 13:51    [W:0.077 / U:0.088 seconds]