    Subject[RFC] MMC multiwrite capability removal
    Hi everyone,

    I've been planning to remove the MMC multiwrite capability (making it
    always on), but I need some help from all you driver maintainers first.

    Ages ago, I had a chat with Axboe about the current situation and it
    turns out that the MMC layer is a bit over-cautious. There are plenty
    of other block devices that cannot report anything more than
    success/failure for the whole request. So it's silly that we're
    crippling the MMC layer when upper layers have to deal with that
    scenario anyway.

    What I need from you is and audit of your respective driver(s) and
    check that they do not overestimate the number of successfully written
    blocks. Please send a short reply even if your driver needs no changes.

    Long version:

    The data flow of a write is something like this:

    1. Data starts moving from main memory to host memory (DMA or PIO)
    2. Data finishes moving from main memory to host memory
    3. A sector moves to the front of the device write queue
    4. The sector starts being sent over the wire
    5. The sector finishes being sent over the wire
    6. The card acknowledges a successful transfer
    7. The card finishes busy signalling
    8. The sector moves to the front of the card write queue
    9. The sector gets picked up by the FTL
    10. The sector is written to media

    In a perfect world we would report the number of sectors that made it
    to 10. Unfortunately we have limited insight into what the card is up
    to.

    What your host drivers should report is sectors that have passed stage
    6. If your controller doesn't give you enough information to determine
    that, then you must report 0 for all failed transfers.

    I'll be having a closer look at stages 7 through 10, but that's a core
    issue that shouldn't involve your drivers.

    Rgds

    --
    -- Pierre Ossman

    Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
    PulseAudio, core developer http://pulseaudio.org
    rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

      Last update: 2008-04-19 09:55    [W:0.071 / U:0.496 seconds]