SubjectRe: Smartmedia/xd card support - request for comments
On Thu, 17 April 2008 01:50:33 -0700, Alex Dubov wrote:

> Current version will always issue whole block writes (no individual page programming). I,in fact,
> implemented a version which tracks partially filled blocks, but experiments with some Olympus xd
> cards triggered a lot of funny hardware problems with this, and then, it appeared that latest
> version of xd card spec specifically disallows partial block writes.

drivers/mtd/nand/alauda.c already does page writes. You didn't know the
existing wheel and invented new one. That happens and there is nothing
wrong with it.

Your chances of merging your new code as-is are roughly zero. But I
would still like to see the code and see where yours is better and ours
should be improved. Or you could take a look yourself and send patches.

> MemoryStick spec does allow individual page writes, but so did an older version of xd card spec.
> Given this, I decided to start with simpler version of FTL for now and replace it with a more
> complex one if need arises.

Are Memory Sticks covered by your code? That would be a worthwhile
improvement.

Jörn

--
Joern's library part 3: