SubjectRe: Smartmedia/xd card support - request for comments
Alex Dubov wrote:
> --- Ben Dooks <ben@fluff.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:50:33AM -0700, Alex Dubov wrote:
>>> I've implemented, with generous help from JMicron, a native support for Smartmedia/xD picture
>> card
>>> media. Currently, only JMicron backend is available, but TI expressed some interest in this
>> too,
>>> so TI Flashmedia backend may soon follow.
>>>
>>> Smartmedia cards are quite akin to the dumb flash chips, but they have their quirks that put
>> them
>>> aside as a separate media type.
>> They're NAND chips, just with a standard ECC/block replacement
>> stratergy... why isn't this under drivers/mtd ?
>>

> They have nothing to do with JFFS or UBI (it's an interchange format).
> They require FTL.

Or does using them according to the interchange spec require FTL?

(That is, it would be really cool to finally have a supported MTD device
that doesn't need to be soldered on to the motherboard, so I could plug
the thing in and run UBIFS / JFFS2 / whatever. I wouldn't be able to
use it for a camera, then, but it would be great for little machines
that don't need full hard drives, or for developing MTD filesystems on
readily-available hardware.)

--Andy

  Last update: 2008-04-17 15:21    [W:0.237 / U:0.024 seconds]