    SubjectRe: Reporting bugs and bisection
    On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:39:41PM +0200, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Adrian Bunk <> wrote:
    > > E.g. if you look at commit f743d04dcfbeda7439b78802d35305781999aa11
    > > (ide/legacy/q40ide.c: add MODULE_LICENSE), how could you determine
    > > automatically that it is a bugfix, and the commit that introduced
    > > the bug?
    > Well, a dead giveaway would be:
    > ""

    Which could be "There is no driver for my TV card in the kernel."

    > > You can always get some data, but if you want to get usable statistics
    > > you need explicit tags in the commits, not some algorithm that tries
    > > to guess.
    > As said above, I don't agree, you can 'guess' very reliably on a large
    > dataset. Also, most commits are already 'tagged' in some way or
    > another. The trick is to find the pattern in this tagging and use it.
    > I hope this clears things up a bit,

    I hope you are aware of the non-technical implications if the results
    don't match reality?

    E.g. I am proud that my commits do virtually never introduce bugs, so
    any results someone publishes about what I do should better be right
    or my first thoughts are somewhere between "fist" and "lawyer". [1]

    > Cheers,
    > Sverre Rabbelier

    [1] my actual reaction might only be an angry email, but I hope you
    get the point that wrong results can really piss off people

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-16 22:19    [W:0.021 / U:4.228 seconds]