    SubjectRe: [patch] mm: sparsemem memory_present() memory corruption fix

    * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    > > > this is the only call to memory_present() we do in 32-bit arch
    > > > setup, so it's required.
    > >
    > > We could clip there if SPARSEMEM is configured. I wonder if this
    > > affects other platforms that need HIGHMEM support?
    >
    > clip where and what?

    i.e. as per my previous argument i'd consider the need to sanitize the
    calls in the architecture fundamentally wrong.

    whether the core code emits a warning or allows the call is an
    additional question i mention in the changelog - but the core sparse
    memory code should _definitely_ not silently overflow a key internal
    array ... (of which data structure the architecture code is not even
    aware of)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2008-04-16 03:21    [W:0.020 / U:1.016 seconds]