SubjectRe: [Bug #10117] 2.6.25-current-git sometimes hangs on boot -dual-core Sony Vaio

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:54:11PM -0300, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
> > On Wed 16.Apr'08 at 0:29:49 +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > We must learn to more aggressively point people at reporting their
> > > issues in own bugs, instead of hijacking an already existing similar
> > > looking bug (that might be for a different issue).
> >
> > I understand now, but you made me feel bad about it.
>
> Sorry for my wording, it was not meant personally.
>
> It's a general problem in bug trackers that one person reports one
> issue, and other people say "I have the same bug" and start discussing
> their problem, which might or might not turn out to be the same.

... which you should realize that this is generally a _GOOD_ thing. This
whole Linux thing is about doing things in a group, not about doing
things separately. It permeates everything and it's our main strength.

Analogously to nuclear fission and to torrent streams, bug handling
needs a "critical mass" as well - the more testers, the better. (even if
they end up having different issues)

So i'd rather see bugs being mistakenly handled together (they are easy
to separate out once they are established to be separate) than the same
bug being processed on two different tracks.

Your rigid, buerocratic view of this matter is wrong, harmful and it
actively discourages testers. Please stop it.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-04-16 02:53    [W:0.081 / U:0.384 seconds]