SubjectRe: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS
Alan Cox wrote:
>> Always loading generic or ata_generic used to be safe. It's still
>> pretty safe but not as much as before. Nowadays, there are good number
>
> ata_generic is always safe unless you force it to grab every class
> device. By default it grabs only those devices we know obey the class
> interface well enough and for which we have no proper driver (usually
> because there are no documents). Ditto for ide/pci/generic.
>
> The trickier one is pata_legacy, which tries to be smart and knows about
> the known exception so *should* always be safe. The old IDE legacy driver
> lacks these smarts so in some cases will do the wrong thing even if
> loaded last.

Right, I was thinking about drivers/ide/ide-generic.c which just grabs
every known legacy IO ports. This actually caused rather serious
problems on some ATI controllers under certain configurations. :-(

--
tejun

  Last update: 2008-04-16 01:29    [W:0.186 / U:0.220 seconds]