    SubjectRe: [bug] SLUB + mm/slab.c boot crash in -rc9
    Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >>
    >>> and the bug pattern seems to be memory corruption - not memory
    >>> exhaustion.
    >> SLUB does not do a memory allocation where it fails here but simply
    >> accesses per cpu information that is expected to be already zeroed.
    >>
    >>> i.e. we allocated RAM but it got corrupted after allocation.
    >> In some situations we are screwing up the per cpu data handling on 32
    >> bit x86? Adding Mike. This looks like the per cpu area overlaps with
    >> something else?
    >
    > yep, that was my other theory - and i doubled CONFIG_NR_CPUS to reduce
    > that chance.
    >
    > in hindsight ... that wont save us from any overlap, right?
    >
    > what's the best way to artificially increase the size of the allocated
    > per cpu area? (say double it)
    >
    > Ingo

    I don't know that there is a boot option. If modules are defined it
    adds an extra 8k. The size is defined in include/linux/percpu.h
    (PERCPU_ENOUGH_ROOM).

    Otherwise define a really large per_cpu variable...?

    -Mike

      Last update: 2008-04-15 23:29    [W:0.027 / U:180.840 seconds]