    From: "Jesper Juhl" <>
    Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:09:11 +0200

    > You can't expect users to know how to debug a problem or even bisect
    > it.

    [ The person you are replying to was being sarcastic, BTW. ]

    That's not the case we're talking about in this specific instance. In
    this particular case the user is more than capable of bisecting, he
    just isn't willing to invest the time.

    And I'm supposed to be willing to invest the time to analyze the TCP
    dumps or whatever to diagnose the problem? And I guess I should do
    this for every single networking bug report or issue? Who is
    going to clone me and the rest of the core networking developers
    so that this is actually tenable?

    That's ludicrious, I don't have a reproducer, this person does. And
    if they bisect, we'll know _exactly_ what change introduced the
    problem. Then I can use my brain to figure out the correct way
    to resolve the problem.

    Bisecting is a mindless activity that saves developers tons of time.

    What people don't get is that this is a situation where the "end node
    principle" applies. When you have limited resources (here:
    developers) you don't push the bulk of the burdon upon them. Instead
    you push things out to the resource you have a lot of, the end nodes
    (here: users), so that the situation actually scales.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-11 00:49    [W:0.039 / U:12.204 seconds]