    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25-rc8

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > And I think that's how we all work (and how we _should_ work), but
    > sometimes people get so used to the fact that some people are fairly
    > tightly associated with certain code that they think it's about the
    > subsystem, not about the person.

    Btw - don't get me wrong - we clearly do try to (and should) make merges
    easy, and it's why the kernel source code is generally pretty modular and
    we try to keep things as independent as possible. I'm not at all arguing
    against that.

    I'm just trying to explain that at least personally, I just don't see that
    "modularity" and maintainership as a _primary_ issue. The primary issue is
    just the interpersonal trust people build up over time. The modularity and
    trying to keep borders is about practical concerns, and it's important
    too. But it is still secondary, I think.

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-04-02 05:13    [W:0.100 / U:0.336 seconds]