    SubjectRe: regular sata drive resets - worrisome?
    Tejun Heo wrote:
    >>> I can offer to you rebuilding that md in a test environment, and
    >>> giving you access to it, if you're interested.
    > Can you hook up those failed drives to a different controller? Say,
    > ahci or ata_piix and put them under write load (ext3 w/ barrier=1 and
    > copying lots of files into it should work) and see whether the problem
    > reproduces?

    I can move switch the disks to a sata_promise controller, I also have a sata_via
    controller but I cannot get those disks to work at all on it (it initially sees
    the disk, but does not finish init).

    I don't on the machine that those disks are on have any other sata controllers.

    >> Here are the errors I get, though look at it closer, I am don't appear
    >> to be getting the reset, just this error from time to time:
    >> sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
    >> sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
    >> sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    >> sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
    >> support DPO or FUA
    >> ata8.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x280000 action 0x0
    >> ata8.00: BMDMA2 stat 0x687d8009
    >> ata8.00: cmd 25/00:80:a7:00:1d/00:01:1d:00:00/e0 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data
    >> 196608 in
    >> res 51/04:8f:98:01:1d/00:00:1d:00:00/f0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
    >> ata8.00: configured for UDMA/100
    > That's device abort error on read. The drive just can't read sector one
    > of the requested sectors and it's not sata_sil24. It's a bmdma one.
    >> I have 4 identical disks, with all 4 connected to the SIL controller
    >> all give some errors, moving 2 of the disks to a promise controller
    >> makes the errors go away on the 2 connected to the promise
    >> controller. All drives are part of a software raid5 array.
    > Ah.. okay, sata_sil. Roger, the moving and errors are not very likely
    > to have anything to do with each other. The only possibility is
    > transmission problems but the drive didn't report transport error (ICRC)
    > and it's more likely that the drive was experiencing temporary failures.
    > It's also possible that the drive set ABRT although there was some
    > problem with the transport tho.
    > If you move the drive back to the sata_sil, do those problems appear
    > again? Anyways, this doesn't really have anything to do with what Hans
    > is seeing.

    I can swap the disk around next time I reboot the machine, the 2 on the promise
    will go to the sil and the 2 on the sil will go to the promise, from past
    testing I expect the disk on the sil to have the errors and the ones on the
    promise to not have errors.

    After I looked at the error more carefully and I though that too, I had
    originally thought I was getting resets also but I was wrong on that.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-01 21:31    [W:0.024 / U:0.612 seconds]