    SubjectRe: quicklists confuse meminfo
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

    > * Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
    >
    > > Right, also the quicklist_trim() in idle() is freeing at max 16 pages
    > > in one go. According to the quicklist_trim() code we keep up to
    > > (node_free_pages / 16) in the quicklist unconditionally, which seems
    > > rather odd as well.
    >
    > i suspect the right approach would be to get rid of them altogether and
    > to convert the code to RCU and plain old alloc/free instead.

    Are you sure RCU is even needed? AFAIK all delayed freeing
    on page table level is already handled by the standard free-after-flush
    mmu code.

    iirc quicklists were just to avoid rezeroing pages which are known to
    be zero at free time (in theory __GFP_ZERO should handle that at
    page_alloc.c level, but it doesn't) and to get a little private fast path
    for the page allocator (might actually predate the current page_alloc
    fast paths)

    -Andi

      Last update: 2008-03-09 13:53    [W:2.814 / U:0.016 seconds]