SubjectRe: Regression: Re: [patch -mm 2/4] mempolicy: create mempolicy_operations structure
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:

> > Excuse me, but there was significant discussion about this on LKML and I
> > eventually did force MPOL_DEFAULT to require a non-empty nodemask

Correction: s/non-empty/empty

> > specifically because of your demand that it should. It didn't originally
> > require this in my patchset, and now you're removing the exact same
> > requirement that you demanded.
> >
> > You said on February 13:
> >
> > 1) we've discussed the issue of returning EINVAL for non-empty
> > nodemasks with MPOL_DEFAULT. By removing this restriction, we run
> > the risk of breaking applications if we should ever want to define
> > a semantic to non-empty node mask for MPOL_DEFAULT.
> >
> > If you want to remove this requirement now (please get agreement from
> > Paul) and are sure of your position, you'll at least need an update to
> > Documentation/vm/numa-memory-policy.txt.
>
> Excuse me. I thought that the discussion--my position, anyway--was
> about preserving existing behavior for MPOL_DEFAULT which is to require
> an EMPTY [or NULL--same effect] nodemask. Not a NON-EMPTY one. See:
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/set_mempolicy.2.html
> It does appear that your patches now require a non-empty nodemask. This
> was intentional?

The first and second set did not have this requirement, but the third set
does (not currently in -mm), so I've changed it back. Hopefully there's
no confusion and we can settle on a solution without continuously
revisiting the topic.

My position was originally to allow any type of nodemask to be passed with
MPOL_DEFAULT since its not used. You asked for strict argument checking
and so after some debate I changed it to require an empty nodemask mainly
because I didn't want the patchset to stall on such a minor point. But in
your regression fix, you expressed the desire once again to allow it to
accept any nodemask because the testsuite does not check for it.

So if you'd like to do that, I'd encourage you to submit it as a separate
patch and open it up for review.

What is currently in -mm and what I will be posting shortly is the updated
regression fix. All of these patches require that MPOL_DEFAULT include a
NULL pointer or empty nodemask passed via the two syscalls.

> Note: in the subject patch, I didn't enforce this behavior because your
> patch didn't [it enforced just the opposite], and I've pretty much given
> up. Although I prefer current behavior [before your series], if we
> change it, we will need to change the man pages to remove the error
> condition for non-empty nodemasks with MPOL_DEFAULT.

With my patches it still requires a NULL pointer or empty nodemask and
I've updated Documentation/vm/numa_memory_policy.txt to explicitly say its
an error if a non-empty nodemask is passed.

  Last update: 2008-03-08 23:13    [W:0.076 / U:0.908 seconds]