    SubjectRe: READDIRPLUS max mount option

    On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:37 -0500, Kyle Rose wrote:
    > I have a very specific use for an NFS mount over a WAN, and allowing for
    > much larger expected READDIRPLUS requests actually improves performance
    > by at least a factor of 10 by eliminating the round-trip latency that
    > results from the application's single-threaded
    > readdir/stat/stat/stat/... behavior. Rather than maintain a hacked
    > kernel on my end, I'd rather the READDIRPLUS limit be a mount option.
    > Hence, the following patch. It defaults to the old behavior
    > (8*PAGE_SIZE), but with a properly-prepared mount binary will allow the
    > client to specify a limit.
    >
    > I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in any relevant discussion.
    >
    > Kyle

    (adding cc to linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org)

    The binary mount format is frozen forever, so the changes to nfs_mount.h
    and nfs4_mount.h are definitely NACKed.

    Otherwise, it would be nice to know why this absolutely has to be made a
    mount option rather than just having a system-wide option (either a
    module/boot parameter or a sysctl) to control the behaviour of all
    mounts.

    Cheers
    Trond

      Last update: 2008-03-07 21:03    [W:0.020 / U:91.376 seconds]