    SubjectRe: [RFC, PATCH 6/6] ext3: do not write to the disk when mounting a dirty read-only filesystem
    On Mar 06, 2008  01:59 +0000, Duane Griffin wrote:
    > NOTE: For now I'm simply preventing filesystems requiring recovery from being
    > remounted read-write. This breaks booting with an uncleanly mounted root
    > filesystem!

    I was going to ask about this - not being able to remount rw is a serious
    problem because many users have only the root filesystem and this
    limitation basically prevents this patch from being landable.

    I'd suggest if the filesystem is going to be remounted read/write that
    the journal mapping be discarded and the journal replayed. Depending
    on how you do the mapping it may be necessary to invalidate all of the
    pages in the cache so that they don't reference the blocks in the journal.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger
    Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
    Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-06 08:21    [W:0.022 / U:31.112 seconds]