    SubjectRe: [RFC, PATCH 6/6] ext3: do not write to the disk when mounting a dirty read-only filesystem
    On 06/03/2008, Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com> wrote:
    > On Mar 06, 2008 01:59 +0000, Duane Griffin wrote:
    > > NOTE: For now I'm simply preventing filesystems requiring recovery from being
    > > remounted read-write. This breaks booting with an uncleanly mounted root
    > > filesystem!
    >
    > I was going to ask about this - not being able to remount rw is a serious
    > problem because many users have only the root filesystem and this
    > limitation basically prevents this patch from being landable.

    Yep, I agree. I wanted to post this as an RFC now to get feedback on
    the overall approach. I'll try and get remount support in there ASAP
    and post another version.

    > I'd suggest if the filesystem is going to be remounted read/write that
    > the journal mapping be discarded and the journal replayed. Depending
    > on how you do the mapping it may be necessary to invalidate all of the
    > pages in the cache so that they don't reference the blocks in the journal.

    That was along the lines I was thinking of, too. Thanks for mentioning
    invalidating the page cache -- I'll make sure that doesn't get
    overlooked.

    > Cheers, Andreas

    Cheers,
    Duane.

    --
    "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

      Last update: 2008-03-06 12:21    [W:5.929 / U:0.592 seconds]