    SubjectRe: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag
    On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:43:33PM +0100, Michael Matz wrote:
    > Hi,

    > > On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:02:07PM +0100, Michael Matz wrote:
    > > > That is true. But it requires updating the kernel to a fixed one if you
    > > > want to run your programs compiled by 4.3 :-/ Not something we'd like to
    > > > demand.
    > >
    > > I changed the title just for emphasis.
    > >
    > > I think that we can't ship 4.3.0 if signal handlers on x86/x86_64
    > > platforms for both Linux and BSD systems will mysteriously (to the users)
    > > fail, and it doesn't matter whose fault it is.
    >
    > FWIW I don't think it's a release blocker for 4.3.0. The error is arcane
    > and happens seldomly if at all. And only on unfixed kernels. A program
    > needs to do std explicitely, which most don't do _and_ get hit by a signal
    > while begin in a std region. This happens so seldom that it didn't occur
    > in building the next openSuSE 11.0, and it continually builds packages
    > with 4.3 since months.
    >
    > It should be worked around in 4.3.1 if at all.

    OK, I suppose that I over-reacted, and it seems that the ship has sailed
    in any case.

    I agree that it's obscure, and I think that the only reason to worry is
    if it introduces a means of attack, which seems unlikely.

      Last update: 2008-03-05 23:15    [W:0.040 / U:0.096 seconds]