SubjectRe: make O=dir fails with current git
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:26:49PM +0200, Stefan Hellermann wrote:
> Sam Ravnborg schrieb:
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:19:21PM +0100, Stefan Hellermann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm using "make O=machinename" for building different kernels from one tree. About 15 days
> >> ago it was okay, with current git it fails:
> >> $ make O=client1
> >> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
> >> Using /srv/devel/kernel as source for kernel
> >> /srv/devel/kernel is not clean, please run 'make mrproper'
> >> in the '/srv/devel/kernel' directory.
> >> make[1]: *** [prepare3] Error 1
> >> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> >>
> >> running "make mrproper" (without O=dir) doesn't help.
> >> I've not changed anything, I only made a "git-pull".
> >> Now I'm at home, tried "mkdir test; make O=test defconfig all" with current git-head, it
> >> doesn't work too.
> >
> > I tried to reproduce this here without luck.
> > The tests performed by kbuild to dertermine if the
> > source directory is clean are very basic.
> > If the file .config exist or the directory
> > include/config exists then the source tree is considered clean.
> > Otherwise you get the above message.
>
> Hi, damn, it's that easy!
> It was the .config file, I added (as root) a symlink to dir/.config to let some other
> application check if some Kernel-options are set, then the permissions of this symlink
> prevented make mrproper from removing it.
>
> For what purpose is this check?
The O= build will use the wrong files if the source tree is not clean.
There are several special cases which goes wrong under the wrong circumstances
and therefore this consistency check.

> I can't point the other application to kerneldir/dir
> because it also greps in kerneldir/Makefile for the kernel-version.
They could use:
make kernelversion

and this could be used in the output directory too.

Sam

  Last update: 2008-03-31 20:45    [W:0.079 / U:0.204 seconds]