    SubjectRe: make O=dir fails with current git
    Sam Ravnborg schrieb:
    > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:19:21PM +0100, Stefan Hellermann wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm using "make O=machinename" for building different kernels from one tree. About 15 days
    >> ago it was okay, with current git it fails:
    >> $ make O=client1
    >> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
    >> Using /srv/devel/kernel as source for kernel
    >> /srv/devel/kernel is not clean, please run 'make mrproper'
    >> in the '/srv/devel/kernel' directory.
    >> make[1]: *** [prepare3] Error 1
    >> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    >> running "make mrproper" (without O=dir) doesn't help.
    >> I've not changed anything, I only made a "git-pull".
    >> Now I'm at home, tried "mkdir test; make O=test defconfig all" with current git-head, it
    >> doesn't work too.
    > I tried to reproduce this here without luck.
    > The tests performed by kbuild to dertermine if the
    > source directory is clean are very basic.
    > If the file .config exist or the directory
    > include/config exists then the source tree is considered clean.
    > Otherwise you get the above message.

    Hi, damn, it's that easy!
    It was the .config file, I added (as root) a symlink to dir/.config to let some other
    application check if some Kernel-options are set, then the permissions of this symlink
    prevented make mrproper from removing it.

    For what purpose is this check? I can't point the other application to kerneldir/dir
    because it also greps in kerneldir/Makefile for the kernel-version.

    > Can you please try to run: make mrproper
    > and then manually check if the .config file
    > or the include/config directory exists.
    > If they exists after make mrproper then
    > check your permissions.
    > In any case let me know the result.
    > Sam

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-31 20:41    [W:0.024 / U:3.508 seconds]