    > From: Mark Lord <>
    > Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:57:55 -0400
    > > I don't have the XX days necessary for git-bisect right now.
    > I wish people would say stuff like this.
    > It takes 20 to 40 minutes, tops, to do this.
    > The bulk of it can run in the background while you perform other
    > tasks.

    I don't understand this claim. On what incredibly fast piece of iron
    can you possibly do between 8 and 16 kernel builds (the range I've
    encountered when I do the "git bisect" dance), boot each one, and
    evaluate the results in so small a period of time? An Alpha kernel
    build takes me between 5 and 10 minutes for minor changes, closer to
    four *hours* for a "from scratch" (make clean) build. Even worse: for
    those of us who don't have access to the console of the test machine
    continuously (e.g., the machine is at home and you normally work outside
    the home), the whole bisection process can take several days to complete.

    Yes, Mark's problem is with a laptop, and maybe he's allowed to take
    it with him into his workplace, but still...

    If your claim is 20 to 40 minutes "per iteration", I could believe that.

    Bob Tracy | "I was a beta tester for dirt. They never did | get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-28 05:45    [W:0.019 / U:9.816 seconds]