SubjectRe: Serious performance regression in Wine applications and Linux 2.6.24.*

* Kai <> wrote:

> The issue only shows with Age of Wonders II and AoW Shadow Magic.
> Every version of wine from 0.9.55 to 0.9.58, including several
> intermediate git builds.
> Xorg version, and a couple other versions (the problems has
> persisted across a couple updates of Xorg)
> Hardware rendering; using the prop. nV driver; updating that also
> doesn't affect the issue, nor does retaining the same version.

could you run this script while such a slowdown is really prominent:

and send me the output it generates? The output is the most useful if
you do this on a kernel that has CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y and

on the off chance that this issue has been fixed in the soon-to-be
2.6.25 kernel, you might also want to try x86.git/latest, which is based
on the latest Linus tree and has all relevant x86 fixes and improvements
added as well:

several of the changes can affect performance.

a third (and most comprehensive) way to debug this would be to send me a
scheduler trace of such a slowdown, you can generate a scheduler trace
the following way:

but we can probably give a first estimation based on the cfs-debug-info
output already. Btw., you can combine the scheduler and the x86 git tree
into a temporary unified tree by doing these two commands:

git-checkout -b tmp x86/latest
git-merge sched-devel/latest

(run "make oldconfig" to pick up the new config options.)