SubjectRe: Serious performance regression in Wine applications and Linux 2.6.24.*
Date

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:47:52 -0700, "Ray Lee" <ray-lk@madrabbit.org>
said:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Kai <epimetreus@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Performance degrades by about 60% when I run Wine under any of the
> > 2.6.24.* kernels. Attached are the output of lspci -vv and the two
> > config files of each kernel.
> >
> > I upgraded to 2.6.24, back to 2.6.23.(not sure), then tried 2.6.24.1 and
> > 2.6.24.3 and the issue is present in both; it's severe enough that Wine
> > apps are virtually unusable for me with this version of the kernel; I'm
> > having to use 2.6.23 until this somehow is resolved.
> >
> > I'd like some help figuring out why this performance regression exists,
> > and what can be done to mitigate it.
>
> As wine has a 'wineserver' running in a separate process, it may be
> related to scheduler changes.
>
> Regardless, if you have the time, please retest using he latest git
> head (or nightly snapshot), and see if the performance regression is
> still there, and report back. (There have been a lot of changes
> between 2.6.24 and current git head that impact the scheduler.)
>
> Please ensure that the fair group scheduler is disabled in your tests
> (just as you have in your 2.6.24 config you attached).

As mentioned in another response, it was happening as recently as
2.6.25-rc6-git7; I'm currently performing a git bisect between 2.6.23
and 2.6.24, unless someone has a better idea; it seems my best option,
as I'm not really very experienced with kernel hacking or debugging.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans