    SubjectRe: What to do about the 2TB limit on HDIO_GETGEO ?
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Mark Lord wrote:
    >> The return value uses "unsigned long",
    >> which on a 32-bit system limits drive offsets to 2TB.
    >
    > One relevant question is: does anybody seriously care about the
    > combination of "32 bit" and "huge modern drives" any more?
    >
    > Sure, we can add a 64-bit version that ends up being used only on 32-bit
    > systems, but quite frankly, I think the solution here is to just ignore
    > the issue and see if anybody really even cares.
    >
    > Because quite frankly, the kind of people who buy modern 2TB drives
    > generally don't then couple them to CPU's that are five+ years old.
    ..

    Yeah. Except Dell will undoubtedly have them in desktops
    within 2 years, and tons of people (myself included) still use
    32-bit (K)Ubuntu on our systems, simply for the better binary
    compatibility that it is perceived to give with things like
    browser plugins and stuff.

    Using sysfs interfaces might be a good alternative,
    if they were easier to use, but drives are not directly
    accessible there using the dev_t value from stat(2).

    Instead, software has to search everything inside /sys/block/
    looking for a "dev" file whose contents match,
    rather than just trying to access something like this:

    /sys/block/8:1/start
    or
    /sys/block/majors/8/minors/1/start

    Or any one of a number of similar ways to arrange it.

    Cheers

      Last update: 2008-03-25 14:37    [W:0.021 / U:1.604 seconds]