SubjectRe: [SCSI] fix media change events for polled devices
James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 13:12 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
>>> [SCSI] fix media change events for polled devices
>>>
>>> Commit:
>>> a341cd0f (SCSI: add asynchronous event notification API)
>>> breaks:
>>> 285e9670 (sr,sd: send media state change modification events)
>>> by introducing an event filter, which is removed here, to make
>>> events, we are depending on, happen again.
>>
>> By simply reading the code history, it is trivial to verify that this
>> description is false:
>>
>> Commit 285e9670 depends on a341cd0f, so by definition it is 285e9670 --
>> or rather the incomplete update of your original patch that resulted in
>> 285e9670 -- that is broken.
>>
>> Since commit 285e9670 is broken, you fixed the wrong thing.
>>
>> Furthermore, you broke a userspace interface that was introduced by
>> a341cd0f, by removing the event filter controlled by userspace.
>
>> Did anyone bother to read any code at all?
>
> Yes, I did. The userspace interface has never worked as a writeable
> attribute because it's read only (as Kay has pointed out several times).
> Based on that, I just #if'd out the filter code to get polled media
> events working again.

It has a show attribute and was obviously intended as a writable
interface (and I should know, I wrote it).

> The filter can be put back with a better discriminator for 2.6.26
>
>> When 285e9670 was updated for the scsi_evt_* interface, it should have
>> initialized the supported_events mask.
>
> That would break HAL ... it's using the presence of the media_event flag
> in the variable to indicate it doesn't need to poll. We need two flags,
> one for polling and one for AN.

Oh for pete's sake. How hard is it to create a second bit _and_ keep
the existing AN featureset working?

_YOU_ are the one that broke this stuff in the first place, can you
please take two seconds to fix it without breaking other stuff?

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-03-21 21:39    [W:0.068 / U:0.768 seconds]