    SubjectRe: [2.6.25-rc5-mm1] BUG: spinlock bad magic early during boot
    On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 16:32 -0400, Len Brown wrote:
    > > > The initrd version of the DSDT override is really for one scenario.
    > > > Somebody who has a BIOS that even Windows can't deal with -- so
    > > > no amount of "Windows bug compatbility" will help Linux with it.
    >
    > > No, this is for people getting involved in ACPI.
    > > Everybody thinks ACPI is that complicated..., but it's not.
    > > It's amazing how far people can debug ACPI bugs (yes, even people who
    > > "do not even know" how to compile a kernel) by simply analyzing the ASL
    > > BIOS code.
    >
    > Thomas,
    > The justification above is what convinced me
    > that we should try to integrate this feature.
    > Further, although we failed in 2.6.25,
    > I think we should continue to try to get this capability integrated.
    >
    > If you think it will be useful for additional purposes, that's great.
    > As you know, I'm somewhat skeptical, as I've seen huge mistakes such
    > as a database of modified BIOS images created and used when the users
    > have absolutely no idea what they're doing.
    But even here we now have the only existing database for some research.
    -> very important IMO.
    > But we don't have to
    > agree on this to move forward.
    I think we fully agree.
    I don't mind to add a message in big letters: "Only override the DSDT
    for debugging, please report any findings" or whatever, we can add this
    ten times in a row, still it is an important feature which is worth
    pushing (and getting populate_root_fs being able to be executed earlier
    is a feature others also like to see AFAIK).

    Thomas

      Last update: 2008-03-20 15:31    [W:2.627 / U:0.084 seconds]