    SubjectRe: ide_cd modifies hard_* members of request
    On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, Mar 18 2008, Boris Petkov wrote:
    > > (sorry, forgot to cc all)
    > >
    > > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Nikanth Karthikesan <knikanth@suse.de> wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Despite the warning in blkdev.h, that members of struct request starting
    > > > with hard_* are block layer internals, and no driver should touch them,
    > > > the ide_cd driver seems to fiddle around with it.
    > > >
    > > > Is this reqd, or can this be made to work without the need for this?
    > > >
    > > > If this reqd, why not provide a helper function for that in block layer
    > > > itself, may be, with a warning about usage?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Nikanth Karthikesan
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > the code pieces you're referring to are in there since at least the
    > > first git import of the kernel source (i.e. 2005) aka long time so
    > > Bart/Jens should know that...
    >
    > restore_request(), I'm assuming. It was probably me who modified this
    > code, I don't think there's any justification for it. I would suggest
    > killing it.

    I'll conjure up something later wrt above.

    > And cdrom_read_from_buffer() as well, it's a silly addition.

    This one is already gone, however the patch is still in Bart's tree
    for -mm testing:
    ftp://ftp.fi.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/pata-2.6/patches/ide-cd-remove-the-internal-64k-buffer.patch

    --
    Regards/Gruß,
    Boris