    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    Date
    On Sunday 16 March 2008 23:49, david@lang.hm wrote:
    > > Mirroring on the other hand, makes a realtime copy of a volume, that is
    > > never out of date.
    >
    > so just mirror to a local disk array then.

    Great idea. Except that the disk array has millisecond level latency,
    when what we trying to achieve is microsecond level latency.

    > a local disk array has more write bandwidth than a network connection to a
    > remote machine, so if you can mirror to a remote machine you can mirror to
    > a local disk array.

    So you could potentially connect to a _huge_ disk array and write deltas
    to it. The disk array would have to support roughly 3 Gbytes/second of
    write bandwidth to keep up with the Violin ramdisk. Doable, but you are
    now in the serious heavy iron zone.

    Personally, I like my nice simple design a lot more. Just mirror it, as
    many times as you need to satisfy your paranoia. Or how about go write
    your own?

    Daniel

      Last update: 2008-03-17 09:19    [W:3.334 / U:0.332 seconds]