SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] LED updates
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > > Richard Purdie:
> > > leds: Standardise LED naming scheme
> >
> > This one causes trouble (at least on 2.6.23 -- I backported the patch) due
> > to the 20-byte length limit on sysfs names. I had to use "tp::<somecrap>"
> > instead of "thinkpad::<somecrap>" to name LEDs, and still had to reduce
> > ultrabase_battery to ultrabase_batt :-)
> >
> > Anyway, IMHO, the LED function should come first, and we should not even
> > need the led driver name anywhere. In case of clashes in the class sysfs
> > dir, just tack a .# to the end or somesuch. The device the LED is tied to
> > already differentiates them. That would save a lot of chars for something
> > much more useful (the function).
>
> Ouch, I'm looking into this. I wish I'd known about it earlier. I agree
> function is more important but didn't want to break the existing
> convention. I guess this limitation comes from the kobjects involved...

Richard, any ideas for that? It *is* still time to change this for 2.6.25,
if required. If you changed it once already, changing it again won't cause
further damage.

I need to know if the current naming scheme will hold or not, I do NOT want
an ABI issue on thinkpad-acpi, and I know for a fact at least Debian will
want to use the thinkpad-acpi LED interface as soon as I deploy it. I want
to send the thinkpad-acpi LED interface patches to the users as soon as
possible.

Sincerely? I think you should make it <function>:[color][.instance] and
drop device name compleley, ASAP.

I will write the patches for mainline and your for-mm branch, if that would
speed up things. But I need to know what you have decided, first.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2008-03-16 19:21    [W:0.084 / U:0.048 seconds]