    SubjectRe: [Regression: 2.6.25-rc5: Blank Screen: Intel 945]
    Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > Well, the blank screen is probably due to a pipe programming timing problem.
    > IGD devices have been getting less & less sensitive to it over time (830s
    > would hang if you looked at them the wrong way) but it's still not that hard
    > to mis-program them.
    >
    > Can you narrow down the problem at all? Did it occur just after a kernel
    > upgrade? Or did you also upgrade your X driver? There haven't been any real
    > changes in intelfb since Oct. when Krzysztof added interlaced mode support,
    > so it's weird that you're just seeing problems now...

    Not that I can think of. Other than a custom kernel I use standard
    Ubuntu 7.10. I was testing out the kernel starting with 2.6.23-rc4 and
    I've tested each rc, recompiling when a new one came out (except for rc1
    and rc2, they didn't compile). So, when 2.6.25-rc3 came out I recompiled
    and came across this error.

    I've removed all fb devices and the blank screen _almost_ never happens
    (also, I _don't_ have to disable the splash screen). There is one
    _big_exception_ the problem still happens when I'm at my University (and
    _very_ consistently). There, I have to disable the splash screen, and
    that ~mostly~ fixes the problem.

    I can't believe it could be related, but when I boot the computer at the
    Univ. I get a flood of kernel messages related to the wireless all the
    time, but still connect:

    > kernel: wlan0_rename: RX too short data frame payload

    _Could_ a wireless problem be related to a graphics's problem? I
    wouldn't think so? But, it would explain why I get the blank screen
    mostly when I get the wireless problem. But, then again it could be
    another problem altogether.
    > I think the only thing you'll lose is the boot splash screen.
    I did disable fb correctly right? Because I still have a boot splash screen.
    > But you could also try using vesafb. It works with more hardware than intelfb (including laptops) and we've fixed some vesafb related bugs in the X driver recently, so it may work better for you.
    Well, if the fb is not necessary, then I think I'll just leave it out.
    Unless you think using the vesafb would help. But, I thought that the X
    server doesn't interact with the fb driver.

    Maybe it's not related to the fb but the other intel driver:

    CONFIG_AGP=y
    CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
    CONFIG_DRM=y
    CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

    I've updated my config if you need to see the newest version:
    http://jdserver.homelinux.org/linux/config-2.6.25-rc5

    Justin

      Last update: 2008-03-14 05:25    [W:0.034 / U:1.980 seconds]