SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.25-rc5 1/2] gpiolib: dynamic gpio number allocation
Date
On Thursday 13 March 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > If IDRs were slow, that linear search will be glacial.
> >
> > The slowness of IDRs was needing to use them for the
> > routine lookups ... versus the current array index,
> > which costs a fraction of an instruction cycle and
> > doesn't need separate locks.
> >
> > Or were you implying they should be used for something
> > other than mapping GPIO numbers to controllers/state?
>
> For dynamic allocation. There should be no need for lookups outside
> register/unregister.

So -- a secondary data structure used only for allocation?
With the primary one as it is now?

If allocation were a hotspot something like that might be
worth considering ... though such duplication is usually
error prone. But it's not; such allocation is a rarity.

> Where did the CONFIG_NR_GPIOS discussion disappear to?

I could maybe see a CONFIG_NR_EXTRA_GPIOS.

  Last update: 2008-03-14 06:55    [W:0.407 / U:0.156 seconds]