    SubjectRe: Keys get stuck

    On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 22:22 +0100, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

    > > > I'm sure it does suck under heavy load, although I suppose you could
    > > > increase the start time. But I wonder if that is the problem this
    > > > time? Modern machines are so damned fast they actually take real
    > > > effort to load. Actually, "make -j4" doesn't sound particularly heavy.
    > > > There's huge disk i/o in a make. Plenty of scheduling opportunities.
    > > > Obviously I only know what everybody else here knows; but with so many
    > > > recent posts suggesting a scheduling fault has been introduced, I'm
    > > > expecting it to be that.
    > >
    > > The problem became much more apparent during early -rc phase of 2.6.25
    > > for those people that have CONFIG_GROUP_SCHED turned on. This clearly
    > > shows that X are somehow unhappy with how kernel schedules them, but I
    > > don't have idea how autorepeat is implemented inside X and what could be
    > > the problem right now.
    > Just for the record, this problem started with openSUSE 10.2 for me, that's
    > a 2.6.18 thingy. I'm a heavy xterm user, where the autorepeat gets a life
    > of its own _occasionally_. I'm able to stop it by triggering a autorepeat
    > manually (typical antidot reaction).

    I've seen these key repeats for years. All I ever had to do was to make
    X run heavily enough in the presence of another (hefty) load that it
    hits the expired array and thereby takes a serious latency hit. I
    always considered key repeats under load to be X's quaint way of saying

      Last update: 2008-03-13 06:45    [W:0.040 / U:4.600 seconds]