    SubjectRe: Keys get stuck

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 09:02 -0300, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
    > On Thu 13.Mar'08 at 12:28:13 +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > >[...]
    > > Swap can definitely keep X off the cpu for extended periods,
    > >[...]
    >
    > So I would like to ask if swap letting X (and everything else
    > in my experience) out of the cpu for extended periods is
    > considered normal behaviour, in the sense that nobody is
    > trying to "fix" it (due to it being considered impossible
    > to fix)...?

    No, it's not normal. I'd say the VM makes bad decisions if _moderate_
    swapping behaves badly. Heavy swapping is another story. (I think Rik
    is addressing some VM issues as we speak, so hopefully it will improve
    soonish)

    > Sorry for being off-topic, but I run a minimal Window Maker
    > desktop in a P4 3.0 GHz with 512 MB of RAM (around 140 MB
    > being used as per 'free'), and trying to load a 380 MB text
    > file in xjed editor makes my whole desktop quite unfair...
    > it takes tens of seconds to switch desktop, type things in
    > the terminal etc.
    >
    > When xjed finishes loading the text file, everything comes
    > back to "fair" again.
    >
    > Is there some law in the nature of computers which says
    > that when swapping everything else waits for swap to finish
    > its business? I hope not :-)

    Me too. In the past, I tested swap heavily (and beat it into submission
    when it misbehaved for me), but haven't tested swap performance since
    becoming fairly ram-wealthy.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2008-03-13 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:62.488 seconds]