SubjectRe: How to compile kernel so it automatically reboots upon a crash instead of generating stack trace and then hang.
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de> wrote:

> On Mar 11 2008 23:52, Prakhar Krishna wrote:
> >
> >[I did search the mailing lists archives and the Web but did not find an answer,
> > apololgies if this is duplicate question]
> >
> >i need my linux box to automatically reboot if it ever runs into a
> >kernel panic/crash etc.
>
> panic=<timeout> boot parameter, as per
> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.

The best solution in this case is a hardware watchdog. Hardware
watchdogs are present on some server motherboards, most embedded x86
CPU boards and also in PowerPC CPU's. The Linux kernel supports some
hardware watchdogs, see also Device Drivers/Watchdog Timer Support in
the Linux kernel config.

The nmi_watchdog=<timeout> parameter might be interesting too. See
also Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt.

Bart.

  Last update: 2008-03-12 11:43    [W:0.143 / U:0.464 seconds]