    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On Wednesday 12 March 2008 06:11, Alan Cox wrote:

    >>No I get that. You've ignored the fact I'm suggesting that design choice
    >>is dumb.
    > You seem to be calling Linux unreliable.

    It's more reliable than many others, but it's not perfect.

    Besides, there are many failure modes beyond the control of the kernel.
    Hardware errors can lock up the bus and prevent I/O, RAM modules can
    go bad, technicians can yank out cards without waiting for the ready

    For certain classes of devices it's necessary to plan for these sorts of
    things, and a model where the on-disk structures may be inconsistent by
    design is not going to be very attractive.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-12 19:25    [W:0.021 / U:5.724 seconds]