    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    Date
    On Wednesday 12 March 2008 06:11, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Ext3 is only going to help you if the ramdisk writeback respects barriers
    > > > and ordering rules ?
    > >
    > > I was alluding to to e2fsck's amazing repair ability, not ext3's journal.
    >
    > Oh you mean "pray hard". e2fsck works well with typical disk style
    > failures, it is not robust against random chunks vanishing. I know this
    > as I've worked on and debugged a case where a raid card rebooted silently
    > and threw out the write back cache.

    So then you know that people already rely on batteries in critical storage
    applications. So I do not understand why all the FUD from you.

    Particularly about Ext2/Ext3, which does recover well from random damage.
    My experience.

    > > Your comment re fs chunk size reveals that I have failed to
    > > communicate the most basic principle of the ramback design: the
    > > backing store is not expected to represent a consistent filesystem
    >
    > No I get that. You've ignored the fact I'm suggesting that design choice
    > is dumb.

    You seem to be calling Linux unreliable.

    Daniel

      Last update: 2008-03-12 18:33    [W:4.182 / U:0.016 seconds]