SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 arch updates for v2.6.25
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:

> So I'd merge a patch that puts oops information (or the whole console
> printout) in the Intel management stuff in a heartbeat. That code is
> likely much grottier than any kgdb thing will ever be (Intel really
> screwed up the interface and made it some insane XML thing), but it's also
> fundamentally more important - if it means that normal users can give oops
> reports after they happened in X (or, these days, probably more commonly
> during suspend/resume) and the machine just died.

I agree. Even with XML ugliness that's a fairly important area.

> kgdb? Not so interesting. We have many more hard problems happening at
> user sites, not in developer hands.

The other problem with the current kgdb code is that it has some serious
problems. e.g. it reinvents various kernel interfaces that already
exist -- one example is that it adds new notify_die()s just to reimplement
the standard __ex_table exceptions in a bogus way.
Couple of other issues. So even if it was a good idea to merge the
code is not really fully in merge shape anyways.

-Andi

  Last update: 2008-02-08 18:21    [W:0.220 / U:0.036 seconds]